There is one household issue that is garnering a lot of publicity lately: mold. The problem with mold is that the toxicity of some mold spores can have serious effects on your health. There are mold assessment kits on the aisle of every hardware store, and because of them fear levels are getting higher all the time.
There are lots of questions surrounding mold, and many people wonder where to turn next. Here’s a quick guide that may help dispel some of the myths and help you understand what to do first.
Why is Mold in My Home?
Mold is actually a pretty natural part of the environment. In the outside world, mold helps to break down organic matter, but you don’t want it growing inside your home.
How Does It Grow?
Mold can reproduce thanks to tiny spores. They land on wet surfaces, and that damp nature feeds the mold. Not all the mold that comes into your home will grow. Unless it lands on a damp surface, it cannot reproduce.
Is This Mold Dangerous?
Mold isn’t always a danger, but it does have the potential to be an irritant, especially to the very young, the very old, or those with existing problems like allergies or asthma.
I’m Worried About Black Mold. Is It More Dangerous?
Black mold, also called Stachbotrys chartarum, is a heavy, wet mold that often won’t go airborne because of their spore size. It grows very slowly, and if you have a problem with it, it’s typically due to an ongoing moisture problem in your home. That same moisture problem can lead to wood rot, leaving the entire structure at risk.
Do I Have Black Mold?
If you suspect you have black mold in your home, the single best thing you can do for your family is to have a professional company come in and do some testing. While you can certainly use one of those off-the-shelf test kits, the reality is that they don’t work well, and some of them don’t even test for black mold.
Is Black Mold Dangerous?
Real black mold is very dangerous. It can lead to a variety of health and mental problems. You could notice anxiety, depression, memory loss, dizziness, a shortened attention span, or even seizures. It could also cause organ failure or death.
Not all mold that is black, though, can cause these symptoms. In fact, not all of it is that dangerous. Other molds, though, can cause allergic type symptoms that resemble the flu, so while any type of mold should certainly be taken care of right away, not all types will be serious enough to warrant costly removal processes.
What Do I Do if I Think There’s Mold In My Home?
If you happen to notice any signs of mold, it’s best to call in the professionals to have it tested. You may smell a mold odor coming from certain rooms of your home. You may even see visible signs of mold growth in certain spaces. While some people don’t notice the initial signs of growth because it can resemble soot or dirt, many people see small mold patches and decide not to do anything about it because it’s just so tiny.
If you see any mold growth, though, you should take immediate action. Small patches can spread fairly quickly, so talking to the professionals right away is a must.
Can I Prevent Mold?
There are actually a variety of ways to prevent mold in your home, whether you’re just now building, you’re renovating, or you’ve had mold trouble in the past. Your best bet, though, is to talk to a company with customizable solutions that will help you prevent mold growth throughout your home, helping to keep your family safe in the years to come.
Article Source: Ross Environmental