Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is a type of surgery performed on the abdomen to improve its shape by surgically removing excess skin and fat that may have accumulated due to obesity, post pregnancy or age. It has added advantages as the surgery serves to tighten the abdominal muscles and makes stretch marks on the abdominal skin disappear.
Concerns before the operation:
The person preparing for abdominoplasty should be in good health with no active diseases. The doctor will check the previous medical records and ensure fitness of the person before the surgery. The doctor will plan the surgery by performing a thorough examination of the abdomen. People who are addicted to smoking will be asked to stop smoking to prevent infection and other complication during or after the surgery. The surgeon will make the person informed about abdominoplasty surgery in Manhattan regarding the benefits, risks, and anesthesia procedures.
Since the operation is a major one the surgeons would usually give the patient a general anesthetic. The operation covers,
– An incision is made in the lower abdomen
– The skin and fatty tissue are separated from the underlying tissue
– The separated abdominal muscles are stitched
– Excess fat and skin are removed
– The incision is cleared with stitches
After the operation:
As general anesthesia can affect the coordination and reasoning skills temporarily it is advisable to stay in the bed for a couple of days. Doctors may suggest you to wear an elastic/compression garment to reduce swelling and keep your knees bent when you are in bed till the stitches are removed or dissolved.
The doctor will prescribe acetaminophen or ibuprofen to counter pain in the earlier days after the surgery. Normally people can go about their regular work in about 4 weeks. In about six weeks, you will recover completely. It is important to make sure that you do not perform any rigorous work during these six weeks.
Measures to ensure speedy recovery
– Follow the instructions of the surgeon in taking care of the wound
– Wear the compression garment as suggested by your doctor
– It is important to take bed rest as much as possible
– Report immediately to the surgeon in the case of bleeding, severe pain or any unusual symptoms
– Never smoke or consume alcohol
Select the right time and the right surgeon for performing your surgery to ensure that you have a successful operation and speedy recovery without many obstacles to your profession and happy life.