Did you enquire everything about yoga and still nobody gave you advice on how to buy a yoga mat? Below are the 5 simple yet important features to keep in mind while buying a yoga mat.
When you enrol for yoga practice or plan to enrol for one, all you ask is ‘what to do’ and ‘what not to do’ about yoga. You even enquire about the yoga instructor, curriculum, batch, teaching methodology etc. But you forget to ask an important question that may not sound important otherwise. How to buy a yoga mat?
If you are in the same league, and still not sure about how to buy a yoga mat; the following checklist will surely help you out:
- Fabric: The first and foremost thing that you must take into account while choosing a yoga mat is its fabric. Most of the yoga mats are prepared to provide the best grip. They are either made of PVC (Vinyl) or rubber. These mats offer you a better grip while holding onto the pose; especially for someone who wants to practice power yoga. You may also opt for eco-friendly mats that offer excellent grip even when you are practicing hardcore vinyasa.
- Weight: Ask yourself if you have to practice at home or at a yoga studio? Do you intend to carry the mat to different places? Once you have an answer to these questions, it is easier to choose.
If you have to practice at home, any mats for beginners will fulfil the requirement. There can be a possibility that you may plan for luxury yoga holidays or a yoga teacher training and may have to travel through plane or may be your yoga studio is pretty far from your place. You must go for a mat with a lesser weight
- Density: Density of the mat is something that varies from person to person. For someone who does more lunges may want to opt for a yoga mat that has cushions in it. These mats will be obviously thicker i.e. 1/16th inches. Generally, the average density of a mat is 1/4th inches. You may also opt for slight cushions in the yoga mat that will have a density of 1/8th inches.
It all depends on what type of yoga you are involved in or planning to get involved in. If you are skeptical about the density; go for the average density of the mat.
- Area: This is also one of the important factors that must be considered while buying a yoga mat. The area of the mat should be per the body size. If you are average, you would not want to have a yoga mat to cover a huge area. If you are blessed with good height the area of the mat should be according to it. Make sure that when you practice savasana, your limbs aren’t lying on the ground. Go for an appropriate size of a yoga mat with respect to your body size.
- Eco-friendly: There are yoga mats in the market that are made of harmful chemicals and material. Since yoga emerged from Buddhism, it follows ahimsa. Therefore, the yoga may that you intend to buy but must be eco-friendly. You can choose mats made from jute, organic or waste material etc. The major benefit of eco-friendly yoga mat is they are easy to handle and offer good grip. You may clean your yoga mat weekly to keep your mat hygienic. Moreover, they are endurable. Since you are spending so much on your mat, it is best to choose something that stays for a longer period
These are the basic features you must keep in mind. You may also customize your yoga mat with specific colours or lines etc.
For someone who may enrol for yoga retreats or luxury yoga holidays may want to opt for rubber or PVC mats. In case you have plans of going to luxury yoga holidays in India, we would suggest eco-friendly mats. This is because every time you can get the mat cleaned at an economical price.
The Author is a Blogger, Traveler and a Yoga Teacher in India. He loves writing on yoga related stuff. He has been practioning yoga from last 7 years. His strong connection with yoga has made him to organize Yoga meditation classes and yoga retreat in India.