Trekking isn’t about just fun and adventure. Here are 10 tips to follow while trekking that will help you grow from a beginner to a professional trekker.
Being enthusiastic about the first trek and preparing for the same are two different things. The more you trek the more you realize that every trek is exciting. But if you are unprepared for the upcoming challenges in a trek, it may demotivate your plans for the next one. These issues may occur if you have chosen a difficult trek, for instance, Annapurna circuit trekking.
So, if you are a beginner or this is your first trek; here are 10 tips that you can follow while trekking.
- Trekking is exhausting for the body as well as mind. Therefore, make sure you prepare yourself physically and mentally for the same. Join a gym, yoga studio or start practicing yoga at home. It will help you build strength and stamina of the body and prepares the brain for the trek.
- Choose a trek with easy to moderate difficulty level. Beginners choose a trek either based on its popularity or its difficulty level. Without realizing that trekking is an extreme workout; opting for something difficult will exhaust them completely. Hence, choose a trek that boosts your adventure motivates you for more treks, etc.
- Research enough about the trek route. Once you have chosen the trek, you must read and research enough about it. This will help you explore the trek route, its location, the locales, food, weather, etc. Moreover, it may also guide you ways to overcome challenges during the trek.
- Schedule the trek right. Before you finalize the trek you need to check if you are scheduling the trek during the right season. You wouldn’t want your trek to be ruined by the monsoon especially if you are trekking in Nepal.
- Always carry a map of the area. Carrying a map is the best help you can do for the trek especially if you are not hiring any guide. Usually, it happens that trekking at altitude affects the network which will inhibit you to use GPS of your cell phone.
- While packing don’t overload your backpack as you will have to carry it throughout the trek. Pack only the most essentials such as sleeping bag, camera and extra batteries, clothes as per the season, snacks, hydration bottle, and first aid kit. When you will be packing clothes keep layering in mind.
- Selecting the right pair of trekking shoes is one of the most underrated tips. While choosing the shoes make sure they are breathable and waterproof. Trekking on different terrains and altitude makes your feet tired. Therefore, the pair of trekking shoes you will be opting must be comfortable.
- During the trek don’t spoil the beauty of the place. Respect the surroundings and collect your waste in a polybag that you can, later on, throw in the bin. Developing this quality from the beginning will not only help you be a professional trekker in the future but will also help you grow as a person.
- Prepare a first-aid kit for the trek. Carrying a first-aid kit doesn’t mean that you will be hurt during the trek but taking precautions is a must. First aid kit must include bandages, antiseptic cream or lotion, pain killers, medicine for altitude sickness, fever, constipation, nausea, etc.
- Some miscellaneous items that you shouldn’t miss while trekking are scarves or balaclava, shades, gloves, sunscreen, mosquito repellents, headlamps, charger for the electronic items and power bank, etc. You may also keep chlorine tablets to purify the water.
If you have chosen Annapurna Circuit trekking, carry an adjustable trekking stick for the trek. A stick will help you pace up and down while trekking up and slow you down while trekking back to the camp.
Follow these 10 tips for an enhanced trekking experience.
Bookmountaintours.com is dedicated to help adventure lovers like trekkers, hikers and backpackers find the best treks, hikes, etc. to satiate their wandering souls. Developed by a group of travelers who are passionate about travel and adventure, BookMountainTours aims to bring together organizers and travelers in meaningful and new ways.