Yoga practice can play an extremely valuable role in health care. With the article, we know how chair yoga can improve the health and wellbeing of seniors.
The ancient practice is popular these days, and we can say yoga is for everybody. But does the concept really stand tall?
Yes, the holistic science benefits all and can be practiced by everyone, even those with knee or back issue.
Due to age, the body restricts itself from performing some activities crediting to the inflexibility of the muscles and joints, pain, etc. and all this increases the risk of injury. This may lead seniors to live an inactive lifestyle with less or no exercise involved in their daily regime.
Sedentary lifestyle in seniorhood definitely leads to chronic illness and downfall of the health. But not anymore!
With yoga, seniors too can live a healthy and fulfilling life and be able to get more out of the holistic practice than most youngsters. Even there are trained yoga teachers in India for specialized yoga classes for older adults.
Chair Yoga is a great and perfect way for seniors to relish the wonderful health benefits of the ancient practice. Staying seated and exercising means no risk of injury and even frail seniors can also participate in the regime.
Yoga in all ways is excellent for us, and to know the full-fledged benefits of it for seniors read on.
Here are the points that let you know how chair yoga improves the Health of Seniors:
Relief from Chronic Pain
Chair yoga and yogic breathing enhances a sense of wellbeing which helps in eliminating the stress that exacerbates joint pain. Some of the chair yoga poses targets specific areas to cure pain, strengthen joint and muscles, and decrease the level of uric acid. Chair yoga relieves arthritis and other conditions related to joint inflammation.
Enhances Heart Health
Heart condition is a common health issue faced by people in today’s time both young and old. But with Yoga, one can make their heart strong. Chair Yoga for senior manages blood pressure, reduces stress, anxiety, and depression, which makes a heart weak. The practice prevents the risk of stroke, heart attacks, enhances lifestyle, etc.
With age mobility of the body decreases hence seniors become less flexible which increases the risk of injury. Chair yoga makes senior people flexible by increasing the range of motion in the body and allows them to do activities including twisting, bending, etc.
Body strength enables them to withstand falls and injury, and also helps with maintaining good body posture and balance. With Chair Yoga, they can have increased body strength which is also good for the muscles and protects the joints.
Manages Type 2 Diabetes
Another common issue is diabetes, but with daily chair yoga practice, seniors can easily manage the conditions. The regime balances the lifestyle reducing stress which helps in managing diabetes – as lifestyle and stress are highly responsible for the decrease in insulin production. It also reduces cholesterol level, regulates metabolism and stimulates internal organs.
With yoga also incorporate breath work to clear the brain from unwanted thoughts, negative feelings, and also boost mood. Yoga helps them to bring mental clarity hence improves concentration, attention, and focus.
Chair Yoga Poses for Seniors
- Sitting Cat/Cow Transition Pose for a healthy spine, relaxed body, improved posture and enhanced breath awareness.
- Seated Twist for improved digestion, enhanced liver and kidney functioning and relief back pain.
- Sitting Chest Opener pose unlocks the Heart Chakra.
- Seated Forward Bend provides a deep stretch to the entire back making the spine flexible, calms the nervous system, stabilizes emotions and stimulates the reproductive and urinary systems.
- Seated Mountain Pose is easy to perform and gives a good spine stretch, removes back and shoulder pain, calms the mind and relaxes the body.
- Seated Warrior 2 Pose strengthens the legs, stretches the arms and legs, opens the hips and chest, develops body balance, and reenergizes the body.
- Seated Eagle Arms Pose is again a simple pose which stretches the joint muscles, improves posture, reduces stress, opens chest and improves the sense of balance.
Chair yoga is amazing. Practice it under the guidance of a chair yoga expert Yoga teacher in India to garner complete benefits.