Injuries and illness are always unfortunate and stressful. No one likes to fall sick instead of being at the prime of their lives. But when you are injured at your workplace or become a victim of some chronic disease because of your work environment, your company is bound to take care of your treatment and pay for all the necessary medications, drugs or surgeries if any. While this may surprise you but if you consult a work injury attorney at Minnesota, he will be telling you about your rights as an employee and the claims you can bring up in case of such mishap if you are not aware of them. When you know the policy and have a workplace injury lawyer by your side, you can put up a fight to get what should be yours.
This article focuses on what you should be doing when you face such scenarios.
1. Are you aware of the areas that fall under workplace injuries? When you fall down while working in your office or factory and injure your backbone or any parts of your body, the company is liable to pay for your treatment. Similarly, motion sickness by doing the same thing all through the day causing severe health hazards, accidents while driving for an official cause or accident caused while using any machine at the factory solely comes under the policy of workplace compensation, and it has been declared as well by the governments.
2. Make sure you are eligible for the compensation before you demand the same. Talk to your Workplace injury attorney before taking any step. While the criteria for this vary from places across the globe, there are specific requirements to be met for claiming compensation. If you are an employee of that company, be it part-time, full-time, seasonal or just a volunteer, you are eligible to get the claim. Also, your employer has the insurance policy from which you will get the benefits. So charge him on that ground as often the company does not want to accept any claims for obvious reasons. But you HAVE to be an employee of the company and your injury SHOULD take place while working or because of the environment you work in.
3. You MUST inform your supervisor regarding the injury as soon as it happens or is diagnosed. Delaying in that may cause rejection of your claim and compensation. Your company may ask you for proof where you have to submit related medical reports, prescriptions, and photographs in case of accidents. Ask your workplace injury lawyer regarding which documents to produce so that it substantiates as solid proofs and can not be denied by your company.
Also, it is your company’s responsibility to see that you get the required medical attention and proper treatment in no time.
4. You have to understand the benefits you should be getting. A work injury attorney in Minnesota will guide you regarding the benefits you are entitled to. But generally, you should be receiving temporary or partial off from work depending on the type of disease or injury you have and the diagnosis provided by a medical practitioner. You should be receiving a full salary during this time. In the case of a scenario where you can not return to work ever again, you may be entitled to permanent disability benefits and social security payments. Also, if an employee dies while working or in any accident related to his work, his/her family is entitled to receive a certain amount as death benefits from the company as a form of financial support.
5. Apart from this, you have certain legal rights as an employee, and you can take the help of the court in such cases. If you have been directly being harmed by your employee or any other colleague, you can claim compensation. If your company does not have employee insurance for you, you can go up to the court as suggested by your workplace injury attorney and file a case in the civil or higher courts. Injuries because of defective machines or disease because of being exposed to toxic substances for long, suing the manufacturer or the employer is your legal right.
6. Lastly, it is never possible for you to take care of yourself while being sick and injured and also go to the court or office every day to fight for your rights and compensation. It is comparatively more straightforward and advisable if you hire a Workplace injury lawyer who knows the rules, the loopholes in the law and the circumstances where you can get the maximum benefits if claimed rightly. This will save your time and stress of handling the formalities as it may go on for long. You can rest at home, get healed while everything will be taken care of.