Cholestatic liver disease happens when the bile flow from the liver is blocked or reduced, due to some defect or an interference with normal bile secretion. Knowing about the disease, is the the key to manage it, and to stop it from spreading, which helps in keeping your liver healthier for longer.
Types of cholestatic liver disease
There are two types of cholestatic liver disease
- Intrahepatic Cholestasis – caused due to infection, genetic factors, hormonal imbalances, disease or drug use
- Extrahepatic Cholestasis – occurs due to tumours, gall stones, cysts which may restrict bile flow
Other types of Cholestasis Liver diseases, which may affect people of all age groups are PBD, PSC etc. Timely diagnosis and treatment helps in the long run.
What are the symptoms of Cholestatic Liver Disease
Symptoms are common for both intra-hepatic cholestasis and extra-hepatic cholestasis
- Pain in the abdomen
- Dark coloured urine
- Light or whitish stool
What are the causes of Cholestatic Liver Disease
Factors that may cause a restricted bile flow can be present either inside the liver or outside it.
- Medications – Anabolic steroids, antifungal drugs, amoxicillin, oral contraceptives and anti epileptic drugs make it difficult for the liver, to metabolize and digest the medicine. It is important to inform your doctor about your past and current medications
- Diseases – People with Hepatitis, HIV, jaundice, auto immune diseases, bacterial infections, genetic disorders, cancer and other medical conditions are prone to developing cholestatic liver disease
- Pregnancy – Pregnancy may make the mother prone to cholestatic liver disease. Recent studies have revealed that 1-2% of pregnant women go through this condition. A doctor should be consulted immediately if itching and lower abdomen issues are experienced
Diagnosis and Treatment of Cholestatic Liver Disease
Cholestatic liver disease can happen across all age groups. Diagnosis includes
- Body check-ups
- Blood tests
- Liver biopsy
Depending on the condition of the patient and the severity of the disease, doctor decides on the best possible treatment, which may include
- surgical removal of tumours and gall bladder stones If diagnosed in the earlier stages, Vitamin K may help improve the condition but in severe cases a surgery or liver transplant may be advised. How to prevent Cholestatic Liver Disease
- If you are an alcoholic, it is advisable to quit alcohol
- Consider getting vaccinated for Hepatitis
- Avoid recreational intra-venous medications
One of the best liver hospital in Delhi, India. Our team of expert liver surgeons, discuss your health conditions in detail and guide you extensively. To book an appointment, Call (+91)- 9650915455
Are you looking Liver transplant In India, Acute liver failure treatment In India, Pediatric liver transplantation In India, Liver cancer treatment In India, Alcoholic Liver Disease Treatment In India, living donor liver transplant In India and Liver Transplantation In India at affordable cost from best liver transplant surgeon in Delhi, India Call Now (+91)- 965-091-5455.